Thursday, December 2, 2010

SIZZIX TRIPLE PLAY BLOG HOP WEEK 5: SUNFLOWER SURPRISE


We've hit it! Week 5 of the Sizzix Triple Play Blog Hop! Can you believe that 5 weeks has gone by already? I sure can't. What's really got me is that there is only 2 weeks left to the blog hop. I have looked forward to each project every week...so I have no idea what I'm going to do after...'cept maybe BEG Eileen, Karen and Brenda to just send me things at random. What do you say ladies? Help a crafty sista out? LOL

So, this week we are featuring another incredible die designed by Karen Burniston. I was particularly excited about this week's project because I am a huge of fan of pop-ups. Yes, that's right people...Karen's die is a pop up! As usual, I couldn't decide on a concept. I only knew that I was definitely using this die as it was intended! No worries...there are pics of that pop up coming up. But first...in case you wanna make one just like this...here is your weekly supply list:

Sizzix products:
Sizzix Bigz XL Die #656740 - Gift Card Holder w/Phrase For You 3-D (Pop up)

Other supplies:
Blank greeting card (no smaller than A-2 size)
Neutral colored cardstock
Yellow cardstocks by Bazzill
Vellum
Stickles in a coordinating color
Distressed Ink by Tim Holtz
Stipple Brushes
Red liner tape
Mod Podge
Foam brush
Xacto knife & cutting mat



I am from the northeast. I love it here...and the change of seasons (although I've been known to whine...cough...about it being too hot or cold at times). The one thing, however, I can absolutely do without is Daylight Savings! Boy, do I hate it when it gets dark at 4:30 in the afternoon. Plus, the weather has been miserable to boot! This is exactly why I was particularly drawn to the bright sunflower pictures that my best friend's daughter (who's 13) took. Plus, sunflowers are my very fav flower!! It really helped cheer me up! Who wouldn't want a blast of warm cheeriness during these winter days with a Dunkin Donuts gift card to pick up a nice hot coffee! I know I'd love to get one of these babies in the mail! (feel free to email me for my snail mail ... he he)

Oh my, it seems I have digressed yet again. My apologies.

Soooooo....I started with a blank, white greeting card. Of course, the first thing I did was grab some ink and my stipple brushes. Yes, I have a thing with those. I just swept some color across those bare white edges...on the front of the card...and on the inside as well. Because I was using these gorgeous, bold yellow sunflowers, I went with Shabby Shutters and Peeled Paint as my Distress Ink accent colors.


I mentioned last week how I love to print photos on vellum because I like the effect. I did the same this week. This particular sunflower I cut out with my Xacto knife. Please be sure that you remember to use a cutting mat. :)

I layered two pieces of yellow card stock, the lighter of the two on top. I lightly brushed some Mod Podge onto the back of the vellum sunflower and layered it down. While that was drying, I went back to my computer and found part of a sunflower poem that I liked a lot, drafted up a saying for the inside of my card and printed those up onto another piece of vellum. I'm fond of vellum, too! I tore around my sayings and brushed on some Distress Ink in Brushed Corduroy. I glued the poem to the front of the card and set the inside saying aside for later.


In the kit that Karen sent, there was a frame type piece that was cut out in white. I glued another one of my sunflower pictures (printed in vellum, naturally) to the front and cut the excess off. This piece inserted perfectly into the pop up. Wait...you'll see!

Next, I was ready to assemble the pop up! Following the directions carefully, I used red liner tape to secure the pop up inside the card. It was very simple and the directions were very well written! Once that was attached, I used double stick tape to attach the extra sunflower framed piece. I only taped across the top of the frame. It is important to note this because if you tape across the bottom, it will stick to the card and prevent the card from opening all the way! That, my friends, would be bad!

I used some Stickles on the "FOR YOU" just to make the letters stand out a little bit more...and, honestly, who doesn't love a little sparkle?

When it was assembled, it looked like this:


Just to finish the card off, I added the light yellow cardstock and glued my vellum saying over that.

Then I added my gift card like this:


This is really just such a special die. You can use it anytime, for any occasion. It is like getting two gifts in one! Can you imagine how special you will make someone feel handing them a gift card in a completely customized card? It's perfect for a teacher's gift for Christmas or end of year...and would make a spectacular vehicle for a personalized birthday present! Sure beats the socks off those cardboard holders that come with the gift card, I say!

I hope my Sunflower Surprise gift card holder has brightened your late fall days! Can't wait to get a start on next week's project which will feature another versatile die from Brenda Pinnick. Time to hop forward....

Artfully yours,
Theresa

10 comments:

  1. So pretty and summery! Love sunflowers too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa - Love your sunflower and quote! I added your blog to my sidebar - thanks for the shared link! - Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! This is so sunny-licious Theresa! I love pop-ups too! I love the "wow" factor of something unexpected happening when the card is opened. I love your idea of using this for teacher gifts, too. Thank you for using my die and making it so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the card and the words. The sunflowers are really warming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm such a fan of sunflowers - this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sunflowers n the vellum! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So bright and cheery! What a nice pick-me-up in December! Love the card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's the word that came to my mind too- cheerful! Thanks for the ray of sunshione on a cloudy day. Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your card. The sunflowers are beautiful and I love what you wrote on and in the card.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...