Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Recycled Floral Decor

For as long as I can remember I have been very attracted to tins that are unusual sizes and shapes.  I have hoarded and stockpiled them always with the intention of doing something "really cool" with them.  So, during the holidays when I was out at the liquor store buying what I like to call "happy gifts", this tin of Jameson Irish Whisky caught my attention.  I just had to have it....and I don't even drink whisky!  So, I gifted the bottle and kept the tin just for me!  Is that wrong?  lol

Ok...yes, it's March.  I just wasn't quite sure what it was that I was going to make this into at first...but finally, when I saw the new Graphic45 papers at CHA Winter, I knew that this bottle and those papers were going to make a beautiful couple.  The long, narrow, cylindrical shape of this tin, I thought, would make a lovely holder for a dried floral arrangement.  

This is a very quick and easy project that anyone can create rather simply.  I didn't even use glue!  (sometimes I have no patience for having to wait for glue to dry)  Here are the supplies I used to create this project:
  • Jameson tin (but you use whatever you have!)
  • ATG tape gun - I find the thin adhesive to be strong enough, but a strong adhesive like Mod Podge will work also
  • Graphic45 Curtin Call paper (any scrapbook paper will do)
  • Mini Scrabble tiles
  • Paper trimmer
  • Scissors

The first thing I did was decide which papers from the Graphic45 Curtain Call collection I was going to use.  I happen to love the vintage feel of all their papers, but I particularly like this line because I am also a musician.

Once I figured that out, I set right to work covering the outside of the tin with a full sheet of 12x12 paper.  As you can see, the tin is a little bit longer than the paper...

I dealt with that by choosing the coordinating paper that has these ticket stubs.

It was really unnecessary to measure this, so I just cut off 2 lines of tickets, like this...

Next, I adhered that strip to the top rim of the tin...

Graphic45 not only sells their papers individually, but they also have these really cool paper packs.  Inside the pack are 2 sheets of each paper design and then in the back there are these press outs that are dual sided.  I used these....

Actually, the one that has the musical notes had a piano keyboard on the underside.  I ultimately went with that.  I trimmed those with scissors and began to layer them vertically onto the tin.

This image came right from the scrapbook paper itself.  I cut that out, mounted it onto another coordinating sheet to make this panel...

...which I then layered onto the tin.

That was all it took!  Pretty simple so far, right? Finally, I added these mini Scrabble tiles to spell out the words "music" and "jazz".  Those made a nice finishing touch and still allowed the paper to be the star!

I added some dried flowers that complimented the paper.  It now proudly sits in my studio.  I think it makes a great addition!

I hope this project has inspired you to go out and alter something of your own!  Let me know what you did....send a link back to your blog so I can see!

Artfully yours,


  1. This is awesome, Theresa! It looks like a vase you would buy at a store. Love all the elements you used .. love, love that paper! Thanks for sharing all the great photos! ~Molly

  2. What a great project for the musical person in your life!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...